Definition: Past Simple Tense is known as the Past Indefinite Tense. It is used to talk a completed action in a time before now.
5 Types of Past Simple Tense:
- Negative Interrogative
- ‘Wh-word’ with Interrogative
Formula: Subject + V2 + object (Helping Verb [H.V.] [Did] is not used)
- Rakesh went to college.
- Radhika ate mango.
- You wrote an application.
- They played cricket.
- She drank coffee.
Formula: Subject + (did) not + V1 + object
(Did is always used with V1)
- Rakesh did not go to college.
- Radhika did not eat mango.
- You did not write an application.
- They did not play cricket.
- She did not drink coffee.
Formula: Did + subject + V1 + object?
- Did Rakesh go to college?
- Did Radhika eat mango?
- Did you write an application?
- Did they play cricket?
- Did she drink coffee?
Formula: Did + subject + not + V1 + object?
- Did Rakesh not go to college?
- Did Radhika not eat mango?
- Did you not write an application?
- Did they not play cricket?
- Did she not drink coffee?
‘Wh-word’ with Interrogative
Formula: “Wh-word’ + did + subject + V1 + object?
- Where did Rakesh go?
- Whom did eat mango?
- What did you write?
- What did they play?
- Whom did drink coffee?
1 To express Past Happening
- Ram wrote an application last month.
- She arrived home before dark night.
2 To express Habitual Action of only in past ‘used to’ is also used.
- Ravi used to go to the temple.
- Pooja used to play badminton in the morning.
3 To express any General Action
- Kavita wrote a letter to her best friend.
4 Past Form – was / were of Verb “be” is used to show information about a person or thing.
- A.P.J Abdul Kalam was the Indian Scientist.
- Was A.P.J Abdul Kalam Indian Scientist.
- No, A.P.J Abdul Kalam was not the Indian Scientist.
5 To express Possession or Relation “had” is used.
- She has not money to do shopping.
- He has really blue color eyes.
The adverbials are in the sentences:
Last time / day/ night / week /month / year /ago / yesterday / that day, sometimes ago / back, once, one day, in 200 etc.